Write a short note on soda-acid fire extinguisher.
- Soda-acid fire extinguishers contain sodium bicarbonate and sulphuric acid.
- It is the most effective house-hold fire extinguisher.
- It consists of a strong iron vessel with a side discharge nozzle. The iron vessel is filled with sodium bicarbonate solution.
- A small glass bottle, filled with sulphuric acid is supported inside the iron vessel. A knob is fixed just above this bottle.
- On striking the knob, the acid bottle breaks open into the sodium bicarbonate solution. The sulphuric acid reacts with sodium bicarbonate to form sodium sulphate, water and carbon dioxide.