Write a short note on Ajanta caves.
- The Ajanta caves near Aurangabad are well-known for their cave architecture, sculpture and murals.
- The caves have been declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- The 29 rock-cut caves at Ajanta were built between the 2nd century BCE and the 8th century CE.
- The caves containing elaborate sculptures and paintings speak about the artistic brilliance of the ancient period.
- The fresco paintings on the walls of the Ajanta Caves depict scenes from the life of the Buddha.
- The Jataka tales have also been shown in the paintings.