Write a note on the Second Anglo-Mysore War (1780-84).
- Hyder Ali declared war on the British when they occupied the French port Mahe.
- Mahe was the only port through which Mysore carried on overseas trade.
- Hyder Ali formed an alliance with the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Marathas.
- The combined armies overran Carnatic, and Arcot was captured.
- Warren Hastings sent military forces from Bengal.
- The British bribed the Nizam and signed a peace treaty with the Marathas.
- Thereafter, Hyder Ali was defeated.
- The war was brought to an end by signing a peace treaty in 1784.