Why was cotton textile industry concentrated in Maharashtra and Gujarat in the early years? Explain any four causes.
The following factors helped in the concentration of cotton textile industry in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Raw cotton: Maharashtra and Gujarat lie in cotton belt. Availability of raw cotton was abundant and cheap. These states are the traditional cotton growing states. Black soil is most suitable to cotton, which is available in these states.
- Market: Cotton clothes are ideal and comfortable to wear in these warm and humid states. Demand of cotton clothes is everywhere in India. In early days, local market itself was sufficient for supply.
- Labour: In these states cheap labour was abundandy available.
- Transport: Rail and road transport facilities were available. They helped in concentration of cotton mills in these states.
- Moist climate: It most suited for weaving the cloth. Fine yam without break could be possible in most climate. Both Maharashtra and Gujarat states are coastal states having moist climate.
- Port facilities in Maharashtra and Gujarat led to concentration of cotton textile industry. Machinery and good quality of cotton was accessible with the help of ports.