Why it is necessary to develop irrigation facility for agriculture? Explain.
Proper irrigation facility is necessary for higher yields. Thus, it is important to develop irrigation facilities for the following reasons :
- Farmer can compensate shortage of rainfall by using irrigation method. He should not depend on the unpredictable nature of monsoon.
- New methods of farming like multiple cropping, mixed cropping has increased the need for greater irrigation.
- Now-a-days farmers use HYV seeds, chemical fertiliser, insecticides and pesticides for higher yields. This new method requires more water than traditional agriculture, only irrigation can fulfil this need of extra water.
- Rainfall in India is seasonal i.e. between June and October. However, crops are grown throughout the year. Therefore, to grow crops when there is no rainfall, irrigation is required.
- Growing commercialised crops like rice, wheat, oilseeds, sugarcane, cotton, jute in large quantities requires adequate irrigation facilities.