Why is decentralization favoured in democracy? Explain any three advantages.
Advantages of decentralisation of power:
- When power is taken away from Central and State government and given to local governments, it is called the Decentralisation. The basic idea behind decentralisation is that there are a large number of problems and issues which are best settled at the local level. People have better knowledge of problems in their localities.
- They also have better ideas on where to spend money and how to manage things more efficiently.
- Besides, at the local level, it is possible for the people to directly participate in decision making. This helps to inculcate a habit of democratic participation.
- Local government is the best way to realise one important principle of democracy, namely local self government.
- The need for decentralisation was recognised in our constitution. A major step towards decentralisation was taken in 1992. The constitution was amended to make the third tier of democracy more effective and powerful.