Why have multipurpose river project come under great scrutiny and opposition? Explain any three reasons.
Multi-purpose river projects have come under great scrutiny and opposition because the construction of dams on rivers leads to grave environmental degradation.
- Damming of rivers affects their natural flow causing poor sediment flow and excessive sedimentation at the bottom of the reservoir.
- Lack of sediments results in (a) rockies stream bed and (b) poorer habitat for the river’s aquatic life.
- Dams also fragment rivers, making it difficult for aquatic fauna to migrate, especially for spewing.
- The reservoirs submerge the existing vegetation and soil, leading to its decomposition over time.
- Flood plains are deprived of silt and khadar, affecting the fertility levels of the soil.
- Construction of dams also faces resistance because of large scale displacement of local communities.