Why had the Mandal Commission become a debatable issue in India?
- The newspapers and magazines were full of different views and opinions on this issue.
- It led to widespread protests and counter-protests, some of which were violent.
- People reacted strongly because this decision affected thousands of job opportunities.
- Some felt that the existence of inequalities among people of different castes in India necessitated job reservations.
- Others were of the view that this was unfair as it would deny equality of opportunity to those who did not belong to a backward community.
• Some felt that this would hamper national unity.