Why do we need rights in a democracy?
- Rights are necessary for the very sustenance of a democracy.
- In a democracy, every citizen has to have the right to vote and the right to be elected to the government.
- For democratic elections, it is necessary that citizens should have the right to express their opinion, form political parties and take part in political activities.
- Rights protect the minorities from the oppression of the majority.
- Rights are a guarantee which can be used when things go wrong. Things may go wrong when some citizens may wish to take away the rights of others.
So, rights perform a very special role in democracy.