Why did French policy makers wanted to educate the people of Vietnam? Explain.
- THE French systematically dismantled the traditional educational system and established French schools for the Vietnamese.
- There were two broad opinions on the question of medium of language,
- Some policy makers emphasised the need to use the French. By learning French language, the Vietnamese would be introduced to the culture and civilisation of France.
- The educated people in Vietnam would respect French sentiments and ideals and work for the French.
- Others were opposed to French being the only medium of instruction. They suggested that Vietnamese should be taught in lower classes and French in the higher classes.
- The few who learnt French and acquired French culture were to be rewarded with French citizenships