Who was ‘father Gapon’? Narrate the events leading to the ‘Bloody Sunday’ incident and the 1905 Revolution.
Father Gapon was the leader of the procession of workers, who marched towards the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg.
- When this procession of workers reached the Winter Palace, it was attacked by the police.
- Over a hundred workers were killed and about three hundred wounded.
- This incident known as the ‘Bloody Sunday’ started a series of events leading to the 1905 Revolution.
- Strikes took place, universities closed down and student bodies staged walkouts.
- Lawyers, doctors and engineers and other middle class workers formed unions and demanded a constituent assembly.