Who was Alluri Sitaram Raju? Explain his role in inspiring the rebels with Gandhiji’s ideas.
Alluri Sitaram Raju was the tribal peasant’s leader in the Gudem Hills of Andhra Pradesh. He claimed that he had a variety of special powers. He could make correct astrological predictions and heal people and he could survive even bullet shorts.
- Raju talked of the greatness of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Raju was inspired by the Non-Cooperation Movement.
- He persuaded people to wear khadi and gave up drinking.
- But at the same time, he asserted that India could be liberated only by the use of force, not by non-violence.
- The Gudem rebels attacked police station, attempted to kill British officials and carried
on guerrilla warfare for achieving Swaraj.