Explain any three reasons for which the multi-purpose projects and large dams have come under great scrutiny and opposition in the recent years.
Which the multi-purpose projects and large dams have come under great scrutiny and opposition in the recent years
- Regulating and damming of rivers affect their natural flow causing poor sediment flow and excessive sedimentation at the bottom of the reservoir.
- Results in rockier stream beds and poorer habitats for the river’s aquatic life.
- Dams also fragment rivers making it difficult for aquatic fauna to migrate, especially for spawning.
- The reservoirs that are created on the floodplains also submerge the existing vegetation and soil leading to its decomposition over a period of time.
- They have been the causes of many new social movements.