Which is the most abundantly available fossil in India? Assess the importance of its different forms.
Which is the most abundantly available fossil in India? Assess the importance of its different forms
In India, coal is the most abundantly available fossil fuel. Coal is found in a variety of forms:
Peat decaying plants in swamps produce peat.
- It has low carbon and high moisture contents.
- It has low heating capacity.
Lignite is a low grade brown coal.
- It is soft with high moisture contents.
- The principal lignite reserves are in Neyveli and they are used for generation of electricity.
Bituminous is the most popular coal in commercial use.
- Metallurgical coal is high grade bituminous coal.
- It has special value for smelting iron in blast furnaces.
Anthracite is the highest quality hard coal.
- It contains more than 80% carbon content.
- It gives less smoke.