- Which cell organelle is referred as powerhouse of the cell?
- Briefly describe its structure and function.
- Mitochondria is known as the powerhouse of the cell. It releases all the energy required by the cell in the form of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) molecules for various functions. This ATP is known as energy currency of the cell.
Structure of Mitochondria
It is a double membrane bounded cell organelle. The outer covering is very porous, while the inner membrane is deeply folded into finger-like projections. These folds are known as cristae, which create large surface area for ATP generating chemical reactions. Space between outer and inner membrane is called intermembranous space.
Functions of Mitochondria
- It generates energy for various activities of the cell.
- Whenever the cell requires energy, ATP molecule breaks down generating energy to be used by body in order to make chemical compounds and perform mechanical work.
- Mitochondria have their own DNA and ribosomes hence, are able to make some of their own proteins.