What were the views of liberals about the transformation of society in the 18th century?
Views of liberals:
- Liberals wanted a nation which tolerated all religions.
- They also opposed the uncontrolled power of dynastic rulers.
- They wanted to safeguard the rights of individuals against governments.
- They argued for a representative, elected parliamentary government, subject to laws interpreted by a well-trained judiciary that was independent of rulers and officials.
- However, they did not believe in universal adult franchise. They felt men who own property mainly should have the vote. They also did not want the vote for women.