What problems do we face in taking the consumer movement forward?
- The consumer redressal process is becoming cumbersome, expensive and time consuming.
- Many times, consumers are required to engage a lawyer.
- These cases require time for filing and attending the court proceedings, etc.
- In most purchases, cash memos are not issued, hence, evidence is not easy to gather.
- Moreover, most purchases in the market are small retail sales.
- The existing laws also are not very clear on the issue of compensation to consumers injured by defective products.
- After 25 years of the enactment of COPRA, consumer awareness in India is spreading but slowly.
- Besides this, the enforcement of laws that protects workers, especially in the unorganised sector is weak.
- Rules and regulations for the functioning of markets are often not followed.