What kind of movements are generic movements?
- These are long-term movements and involve more than one issue.
- The environmental movements and the women’s movements are examples of such movements.
- There is no single organisation that controls or guides such movements.
- Environmental movement is a label for a large number of organisations and issue-specific movements.
- All of these have separate organisations, independent leadership and often different views on policy-related matters.
- Yet all of these share a broad objective and have a similar approach. That is why they are called ‘generic movements’.