What is the role of the Cabinet Ministers in a democracy?
- Parliamentary democracy in most countries is often known as the Cabinet form of government.
- The Cabinet works as a team.
- The ministers may have different views and opinions, but everyone has to own up to every decision of the Cabinet.
- No minister can openly criticise any decision of the government even if it is about another ministry or department.
- Every ministry has secretaries who are civil servants. The secretaries provide the necessary background information to the ministers to take decisions.
- The Cabinet as a team is assisted by the Cabinet Secretariat. This includes many senior civil servants who try to coordinate the working of different ministries.