What is the meaning of road density? Describe any three major problems faced by road transportation in India.
Road Density: The length of road per 100 sq. km. of area is known as density of roads.
- Road density in India is very uneven.
- The road network is unadequate in keeping view the volume of traffic and passengers.
- About half of the roads are unmetalled.
- Unmetalled roads limits their usage during the rainy season.
- The National Highways are also inadequate.
- The roadways are highly congested in cities.
- Most of the bridges and converters are old and narrow.
- Most of state highways and district roads are rough and trouble some.