What is the function of peristalsis in these parts ?
a) Oesophagus b) Stomach c) Small intestine d) Large intestine
A. a) Oesophagus:
Peristalsis helps in pushing the food, down the oesophagus into the stomach.
- Peristalsis helps in storing food, breaking down food down and mixing it with juices secreted by stomach lining.
- Peristalsis in stomach helps in partial digestion of food called chyme.
c) Small intestine :
- Peristalsis pushes the digesting food through small intestine.
- It helps to mix the chyme to help in the digestive process.
- Peristalsis also helps in absorbing nutrients from the digesting food into the blood.
d) Large intestine :
Peristaltic movements help to propel feces along the large intestine through colon, to the rectum for expulsion from the body.