What is peristaltic movement ? Compare the similarity of bolus movement in oesophagus with cycle tube and potato experiment which you have conducted in
Peristalsis: Contraction and relaxation of circular and longitudinal muscles bring in a wave - like motion that propels the food bolus into the stomach from oesophagus by the action called as peristalsis.
Aim: Making a mode of oesophagus to observe how bolus moves forward.
Material required : Potatoes, cycle tube lubricate oil
- Take a piece of waste cycle tubes and insert . one or two potatoes into it.
- Lubricate the inner side of the tube with oil.
- In the same way smear oil over potatoes.
- Insert oil coated potatoes in the tube.
- Now try to push the potatoes by squeezing the tube from behind the potato.
Observation: Oil acted as lubricant to push the potato easily in the forward direction.
Conclusion : The muscles in the wall of the oesophagus have bring in a wave like movement due to contraction and relaxation, that propels the food bolus into the stomach.
This action is called as peristalsis.