A balanced chemical equation can provide the following information :
- The reactants and products through their symbols and formulae.
- The ratio of molecules of reactants and products.
- As molecular masses are expressed in unified mass (u), the relative masses of reactants and products are known from the equation.
- If the masses are expressed in grams then the equation also gives the molar ratios of reactants and products.
- If gases are involved, we can equate their masses to their volumes and calcu-late the volumes or those gases liberated at given condition of temperature and pressure using molar mass and molar volume relationship.
- Using molar mass and Avagadro’s number we can calculate the number of molecules and atoms of different substances from the equation.