What are vertebrates? What are their main features?
Vertebrates are the animals included in the phylum chordata in which the spinal chord is made of small vertebrae.
There are five classes of vertebrates:
- Aves and
The main features of vertebrates are given as under:
- They possess a solid notochord.
- The body has bilateral symmetry.
- They have a true vertebral column.
- They have a dorsal hollow nerve cord.
- They are triploblastic.
- The terrestrial forms respire through lungs and the aquatic forms through gills.
- They are coelomate.