What are the functions of I.O.C. ?
Functions of I.O.C. :
- To encourage and support the promotion of ethics in sports as well as education of youth through sports and to dedicate its efforts to ensuring that, in sport, the spirit of fair play prevails and violence is banned.
- To act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic movement.
- To lead the fight against doping in sports.
- To take action in order to strengthen the unity and to protect the independence of the Olympic movement.
- To encourage and support the efforts of sports organizations and public authorities to provide for social and professional future of athletes.
- To encourage and support the organization) development and co-ordination of sport and sports competitions.
- To ensure regular celebration of the Olympic Games.
- To promote a positive legacy from Olympic Games to the host cities and host countries.
- To encourage and support initiatives blending sport with culture and education.
- To elect the host city of the Olympic Games. The I.O.C. executive board consists of the President, four vice presidents and ten other members. All members of executive board are elected by the session, in a secret ballot, by a majority of votes cast. The I.O.C. executive board assumes the general overall responsibility for the administration of I.O.C. and the management of its affairs.