What are the challenges to free and fair elections in India?
Challenges to free and fair elections in India are as follows:
- Candidates and parties with a lot of money may not be sure of their victory but they do enjoy a big and unfair advantage over smaller parties and independents.
- In some parts of the country, candidates with criminal connection have been able to secure a ‘ticket’ from major parties.
- Some families tend to dominate the political parties; tickets are distributed to relatives from these families.
- Very often, elections offer little choice to ordinary citizens as both the major parties are similar to each other in their policies and practices.
- Smaller parties and independent candidates suffer a huge disadvantage as compared to the bigger parties.