- What are hydrocarbons? Give examples.
- Give the structural differences between saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons with two examples each.
- What is a functional group? Give examples of four different functional groups.
- Compounds of carbon and hydrogen are called hydrocarbons. For example, methane, ethane, etc.
- Saturated hydrocarbons contain carbon-carbon single bonds.
Unsaturated hydrocarbons contain at least one carbon-carbon double or triple bond.
3 An atom/group of atoms joined in a specific manner which is responsible for the characteristic chemical properties of the organic compounds is called a functional group. Examples are hydroxyl group (—OH), aldehyde group (—CHO), ketonic group (>C=0), carboxylic group (—COOH), etc.