what are canal rays?
- A German scientist, E.Goldstein modified the discharge tube and passed an electric current through it.
- He found that positively charged rays were emitted from the anode in the discharge tube. These rays were called ‘Canal Rays’ .
- When an electric field was applied, these rays deflected towards the negatively charged plate. Thus, Goldstein concluded that an atom contains positively charged particles along with the electrons.
- These positively charged particles were named as ’ protons ’ by a British scientist, Ernest Rutherford.
- Canal rays were also called anode rays since they emitted from anode (electrode connected to positive terminal of high voltage source) in the gas discharge experiments using perforated cathode.