Throw more light on India occupying an important and strategic position in South Asia.
- India has 28 States and 7 Union Territories.
- India shares its land boundaries with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the north-west, China (Tibet), Nepal and Bhutan in the north and Myanmar and Bangladesh in the east.
- Our southern neighbours across the sea consist of the two island countries, namely Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- Sri Lanka is separated from India by a narrow channel of sea formed by the Palk Strait and the Gulf of Mannar while Maldives Islands are situated to the South of the Lakshadweep Islands.
- India has had strong geographical and historical links with her neighbours.