The following table shows the position of six elements A, B, C, D, E and F in the Periodic Table.
Using the above table answer the following questions:
- Which element will form only covalent compounds?
- Which element is a metal with valency 2?
- Which element is a non-metal with valency 3?
- Write a common name for the family of elements C and F.
- Out of D and E, which one has a bigger atomic radius and why?
- The noble gases.
- D has bigger atomic radius. The atomic radius decreases in moving from left to right along a period. This is due to an increase in nuclear charge which tends to pull the electrons closer to the nucleus and reduces the size of the atom.