The criteria for deciding divisions in plants differ from the criteria for deciding the sub-groups among animals. Comment.
The criteria for deciding divisions in plants differ from the criteria for deciding the sub-groups among animals
Classification is the process of assigning and grouping organisms into different groups based on their characteristics. Plants and animals were divided into two different groups also known as kingdoms based on their different characteristics. Further classification of these two kingdoms is also very different from each other because they are very different in structure, appearance, development, etc.
Plants are classified on various criteria like
- Mode of reproduction Spore bearing plants and seed bearing plants.
- Flower formation Flowering plants and non-flowering plants.
- Presence of vascular tissue Vascular plants and non-vascular plants.
Animals are classified on various criteria like
- Presence of backbone Vertebrates and invertebrates.
- Body symmetry Radial and bilateral.
- Presence of cavity Acoelomates, pseudocoeiomates and coelomates