Suggest the proposals to reform political funding.
On an average, every candidate who contested the Lok Sabha elections owned a property of more than one crore. There is a fear that only wealthy people or those with their support can afford to fight elections. The worry is that the role of money in politics will reduce whatever little voice the poor have in our democracy.
- The financial accounts of every political party should be made public.
- These accounts should be examined by the government auditors.
- There should be state funding of elections. Parties should be given some money by the government to meet their election expenditure.
- Citizens should be encouraged to give more donations to parties and to political workers.
- Such donations should be exempt from income tax.