Suggest any five effective measures to reform political parties.
In a democracy, the final decision is made by leaders who represent political parties. The following are some of the efforts and suggestions to reform political parties:
- Anti-Defection Law: The Constitution was amended to prevent elected MLAs and MPs from changing parties. This was done because many elected representatives were indulging in defection to become ministers or for cash rewards. Now the law says that if any MLA or MP changes parties, he or she will lose the seat.
- Affidavit: The Supreme Court passed an order to reduce the influence of money and criminals. Now it is mandatory for every candidate who contests election to file an affidavit giving detail of his property and criminal cases pending against him. This new system has made a lot of information available to the public.
- Hold Organisational Election: The Election Commission passed an order making it necessary for political parties to hold their organisational election regularly.
- File Income Tax Return: The Election Commission has also passed an order to make it mandatory for political parties to file their income tax returns.
- State Funding: There should be state funding of elections. The Government should give parties money to support their election expenses.
- Reservation to Women: It should be made mandatory for political parties to give a minimum number of tickets, about one third to women candidates. Similarly, there should be a quota for women in the decision making bodies of the party.
- A law should be made to regulate the internal affairs of political parties. It should be made compulsory for political parties to maintain a register of its members to follow its own constimtion.