“Pressure groups and movements exert influence on politics in different ways”. Support the statement with suitable examples.
Pressure groups and movements exert influence on politics in the following manners:
- They try to gain public opinion and sympathy for their goals and their activities by carrying out information campaigns, organising meetings and filing petitions.
- They often organise protest activity like strikes or disrupting government programmes.
- Business groups often employ professional lobbyists. Some persons from pressure groups may participate in official bodies and committees that offer advice to the government.
- In some instances, the pressure groups are either formed or led by the leaders of political parties.
- The issues raised by them often influence the policies of political parties.
- Sometimes political parties grow out of movement. Asom Gana Parishad, DMK, AIADMK and AAP are the examples of such parties.