Political parties fill political offices and exercise political power. But tbey do tbis by performing a series of important functions. Describe any five of them.
Functions of political parties:
- Parties contest elections.
- Parties put forward different policies and programmes and the voters choose from them.
- Parties play a decisive role in making laws for a country.
- Parties form and run governments.
- Those parties that lose in the elections play the role of opposition to the parties in power, by voicing different views and criticising government for its failures or wrong policies.
- Parties shape public opinion. They raise and highlight issues.