On the above map of India show the places where different types of soils are found.
The different types of soils are found as mentioned below :
- Forest soils: Areas of Himalayas - the soils on lower parts of the valleys on the river terraces are fertile.
- Alluvial soils: Entire northern plains, Rajasthan and Gujarat in a narrow corridor, eastern coastal plains in the deltas of the Mahanadi, the Godavari, the Krishna and the Kaveri rivers.
- Red and Yellow soils: Red soils are found in eastern and southern parts of the Deccan plateau. Yellow and red soils are found in parts of Orissa, Chhattisgarh, southern parts of the middle Ganga Plain and along the piedmont zone of the Western Ghats.
- Black soils: Deccan trap (Basalt) region i.e., plateaus of Maharashtra, Saurashtra, Malwa, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and extend in the southeast direction along the Godavari and the Krishna valleys.
- Laterite soils: Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh and the hilly areas of Orissa and Assam.
- Arid soils: Western Rajasthan