“Napoleon had no doubt, destroyed democracy in France, but in the administrative field, he had incorporated revolutionary principles in order to make the whole system more rational and efficient” Support the statement.
- WITHIN the wide swathe of territory that came his control, Napoleon set about
- introducing many of the reforms that he had already introduced in France.
- He had introduced revolutionary principles in order to make the whole system more rational and efficient.
- He did away with all privileges based on birth, established equality before the law and secured the right to property.
- Napoleon simplified administrative divisions.
- He abolished the feudal system and freed peasants from serfdom and manorial dues.
- In the towns guild restrictions were removed.
- Transport and communication systems were improved.
- Peasants, artisans, workers and new businessmen enjoyed a new found freedom.