Limitations of Rutherford model, Bohr model,Thomson model.
Draw backs of Thomson’s Model:
• It could not explain the stability of an atom, i.e how a positive charge in the atom holds the negatively charged electrons.
• It could not explain the position of nucleus in an atom.
• It could not explain the scattering of alpha particles
Drawbacks of Rutherford’s Model:
• The orbital revolution of the electron is not expected to be stable.
• According to Rutherford’s model, the electrons, while moving in their orbits, would give up energy.
This would make them slow down, gradually and move towards the nucleus. The electrons will follow a spiral path and then fall into the nucleus. Ultimately, the atom would collapse. But in reality the atom is stable.
Drawbacks of Bohr’s Model:
• Bohr’s model did not apply to elements like helium and lithium and the higher elements containing more than one electron.
• The model was also unable to explain the structure of chemical bonds