How far is it Correct to Say that “it is not politics that gets Caste ridden but it is the Caste that gets Politicised”? Explain.
Politics too influences the caste system and caste identities by bringing them into the political arena.
This takes several forms:
- Each caste group tries to become bigger by incorporating with itself neighbouring castes or sub-castes.
- Various caste groups enter into a coalition with other castes for negotiations.
- New caste groups like ‘backward’ and ‘forward’ have come up in the political arena.
- Expression of caste differences in politics give many disadvantaged communities the chance to demand their share of power and thus gain access to decision making.
- Many political and non-political organisations have been demanding and agitating for an end to discrimination against particular castes for more dignity and more access to land, resources and opportunities.