“India is fortunate to have fairly rich and varied mineral resources. However, these are
unevenly distributed.” Comment.
- Minerals are unevenly distributed in various regions of India.
- Peninsular rocks contain most of the reserves of coal, metallic minerals, mica and many other non-metallic minerals.
- Sedimentary rocks on the western and eastern flanks of the peninsula, in Gujarat and Assam have most of the petroleum deposits.
- Rajasthan with the rock systems of the peninsula, has reserves of many non-ferrous minerals.
- The vast alluvial plains of North India are almost devoid of economic minerals.