How would you explain the rise of Napoleon
Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte:
- After the French Revolution, France became a republic.
- The Jacobins introduced some radical reforms but they under Robespierre followed the policies so relentlessly that he himself was guillotine in July 1794.
- The fall of the Jacobin government allowed the wealthier middle class to seize power. Two legislative councils were elected, who then appointed a Directory, an executive made of five members
- Directors often clashed with legislative Councils and the latter sought to dismiss them.
- Political instability of the Directory paved the way for the rise of military dictator Napoleon Bonaparte