How will you separate dyes in black ink using chromatography? Explain it with the help of a diagram.
- Take a thin strip of filter paper.
- Draw a line on it using a pencil approx. 3 cm above the lower edge.
- Put a small drop of ink with help of a pen at centre of line and let it dry.
- Lower the filter paper into a glass jar containing water in such a way that the ink’s drop remains just above the water level. Leave it undisturbed.
- Water rises up in the filter paper. Ink drop splits up into its constituents.
Conclusion: Dye in black ink is a mixture of 2 or 3 colours. The coloured component that is more soluble in the water rises faster and in this way, the colours get separated.