How were Vietnamese nationalists inspired by Japan and China to set up democratic republic? Explain with examples.
How were Vietnamese nationalists inspired by Japan and China to set up democratic republic? Explain with examples
- ABOUT 300 Vietnamese students went to Japan to acquire modern education in 1907-08.
- Their primary objective was to drive out the French from Vietnam, overthrow the puppet emperor and re-establish the Nguyen dynasty that had been deposed by the French.
- They looked for foreign arms and help.
- They appealed to the Japanese as fellow Asians.
- Developments in China also inspired Vietnamese nationalists. In 1911, the long established monarchy in China was overthrown by a popular movement under Sun Yat-Sen, and a republic was set up.
- Inspired by these developments,-Vietnamese students organised the Association for the Restoration of Vietnam (Viet-Nam Quan Phuc Hoi).