How do you define a good democracy? Explain its main features.
In many cases, we slightly add something in redefining democracy. They are as follow:
- The rulers elected by the people must take all the major decisions.
- Elections must offer a choice and fair opportunity to the people to change the current rulers.
- The choice and opportunity should be available to all the people on an equal basis.
- Rights are not limited to the right to vote, stand in elections and form political organisations.
- There are some social and economic rights also that a democracy should offer to its
- We have taken up power sharing between governments and social groups. It is necessary in democracy.
- Democracy cannot be the brute rule of majority and respect for minority voice is necessary for democracy.
- Eliminating discrimination based on caste, relegion and gender is important in democracy.