How did Raikas of Rajasthan practise cattle rearing?
Who are pastoral nomads ? Explain the life style and occupational activities of pastoral nomads of deserts of Rajasthan.
- They are groups of people.
- In the deserts of Rajasthan lived the Raikas.
- The rainfall in the region is less and uncertain. On cultivated land, harvest fluctuated every year. Over vast stretches, no crop could be grown.
- So the Raikas combined cultivation with pastoralism.
- During the monsoon, the Raikas of Barmer, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur and Bikaner stayed in their home villages, where pasture was available.
- By October, when grazing grounds were dry and exhausted, they moved out in search of other pastures and water, and returned again during the next monsoon.
- One group of Raikas known as Maru Raikas herded camels and another group reared sheep and goat.
- They are groups of people on the move with their herds of goats and sheep or camels or cattle.
- Pastoral Nomads of Desert of Rajasthan:
- They are called Raikas.
- Raikas combined cultivation with pastoralisms.
- During monsoons Raikas of Barmer, Jaisalmer stayed in their home villages where pastures were available.
- By October, they move out in search of other pastures and return again during the next monsoon.