How did people and the colonial government react to the Civil Disobedience Movement?
Reactions of People : In large scale, people participated in Civil Disobedience Movement with great zeal. They participated in protest march and manufactured salt.
- As the movement spread, foreign cloth was boycotted, liquor shops were picketed.
- Peasants refused to pay revenue and chaukidari taxes.
- Village officials resigned.
- In many places, forest people violated forest laws, going into Reserved Forests to collect wood and graze cattle.
Reaction of Colonial Government :
- The Colonial Government began arresting the Congress leaders one by one.
- Abdul Ghaffar Khan a devout disciple of Mahatma Gandhi was arrested in April 1930.
- Mahatma Gandhi himself was arrested.
- A frightened government responded with a policy of brutal repression.
- Peaceful satyagrahis were attacked. Women and children were beaten.
- About 1,00,000 people were arrested.