How did India emerge as a federal state?
- India had emerged as an independent nation after a painful and bloody partition.
- Soon after independence, several princely states became a part of the country.
- The Constitution declared India as a Union of States.
- Although it did not use the word federation, the Indian Union is based on the principles of federalism.
- The Constitution originally provided for a two-tier system of government, the Union government or Central government, representing the Union of India and the State governments.
- Later, a third tier of ‘Panchayati Raj’ or local government was added.