How did Gandhiji try to integrate the Depressed Classes into society? Explain any three points.
- FOR long time, the Congress had ignored the Dalits.
- Gandhiji declared, that Swaraj would not come for a hundred years if untouchability was not eliminated.
- He called the untouchables ‘Harijan’ or the children of God.
- He organised satyagraha to secure their entry into temples.
- Access to public wells, tanks, roads and schools.
- He himself cleaned toilets to dignify the work of the bhangi and persuaded upper castes to change their heart and gave up ‘the sin of untouchability’.