How can you say that women’s role in public life is minimal?
- Earlier, only men were allowed to participate in public affairs, vote and contest for elections and public offices.
- Gradually, the gender issue was raised in politics.
- Women in different parts of the world organised and agitated for equal rights.
- There were agitations in different countries for the extension of voting rights to women.
- These agitations demanded enhancing the political and legal status of women and improving their educational and career opportunities.
- More feminist movements have taken place for equality of women.
We now find women working as scientists, doctors, engineers, lawyers, managers and college and
university teachers, which were earlier not considered suitable for women.