Highlight the impact of Bloody Sunday which took place in Russian society.
Bloody Sunday started a series of events that came to be known as the 1905 Revolution.
The impacts of the events of ‘Bloody Sunday’ on Russian society were as follows :
- Strikes took place all over the country and universities closed down.
- Students staged walkouts, complaining about the lack of civil liberties.
- Lawyers, doctors, engineers and other middle class workers established the Union of Unions and demanded a Constituent Assembly.
- A large number of trade unions and factory committees of factory workers came into existence. But after 1905, they worked unofficially, as they were declared illegal.
- The Tsar bowed to pressure of various groups and allowed the creation of an elected Consultative Parliament or Duma. However, he dismissed the first and re-elected the second one. Later, he changed the voting laws and packed the third Duma with conservative politicians while liberals and revolutionaries were kept out.